With the closure of Harewood Acres in 1970, Ontario Region sports car clubs only had one venue to hold amateur road races - which was Mosport.
In 1976, a new track opened east of Belleville. The facility was built by John Nelson and called Nelson International Raceway.
The first race event was for motorcycles in October 1976. The following year Ontario amateur sports car racers competed
at this venue and since then, it has been one of two choices for Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs (CASC-OR) to hold events.
Amateur championships are contested in the following categories:
- Production Category – There are eight classes in the production division – A Production (AP) to H Production (HP).
These production-based vehicles are grouped according to their performance potential. Sports cars such as the
Chevrolet Corvette, Nissan 240Z, MG Midget, etc. are most often associated with this category.
- Sedan Category – Three classes are identified as Sedan – they include A Sedan (AS), B Sedan (BS) and C Sedan (CS).
These vehicles are also grouped according to their performance potential. The quickest class,
AS features car such as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro while at the other end of the spectrum,
CS includes the Mini Cooper and Honda Civic. These vehicles are allowed a larger number of modifications
than the production category.
- Formula Vee - This is a popular open-wheel category that uses Volkswagen components and is powered
by a 1200-cc air-cooled engine.
- Formula Ford - This is another well-subscribed division that utilizes a four-cylinder 1600-cc Ford motor.
- Formula 4 - cars are often powered by motorcycle engines and this category has the most liberal rules.
- Formula Libre - Open-wheel vehicles that do not meet the rules of Formula Vee, Formula Ford or Formula 4 compete in this group.
- Sports Racer - These are purpose-built closed wheel race cars. This division includes a wide range of chassis’
which may be constructed by the competitor or a race car manufacturer. There are also a wide range of engine options used by the teams.
The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada also competes at CASC-OR weekends and has several classes depending on the age and type of vehicle.
Below are images from Mosport and Nelson International Raceway during the 1977 Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs - Ontario Region season.
All content (photographs and text) appearing on this website are the exclusive property of © www.zoompics.com and are protected under International copyright laws. The subject matter on this website may not be reproduced, copied, stored or manipulated.
© Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016