The SMP Cup was the second event on the 2022 Canadian Autombile Sport Clubs -
Ontario Region road racing calendar. The event was held at Shannonville Motorsport Park on June 4-5.
In Ontario, amateur competitors race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and Calabogie Motorsport Park to earn points towards the regional titles.
- May 7-8 - 70th BEMC Spring Trophy Races - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- June 4-5 - SMP Cup - Shannonville Motorsport Park
- July 23-24 - BARC Canadian Touring Trophy Races - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- August 20-21 - Calabogie Summer Classic - Calabogie Motorsport Park
- September 17-18 - BEMC Late Summer Trophy Races - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- October 1-2 - Celebration of Motorsport - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Championships are contested in the following categories:
- Grand Touring Category – The Grand Touring division is for race-prepared production vehicles.
The cars competing in this category are prepared to similar rules.
Some of these vehicles may be constructed with a tube-frame chassis.
They are grouped according to their performance (based on the bracket that a car/driver combination performs).
The quickest class features cars such as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Corvette, while at the other end of
the spectrum are vehicles such as the Honda Civic and Volkswagen Rabbit. Vehicles in the GT Sprints are categorized
from GT1 to GT5 depending on their performance.
A weekend of competition includes three races twenty-minutes in length.
- Formula Category – These are purpose-built race cars.
This is the largest category and there are a variety of regulations that govern these open-wheel cars.
- Formula 1200 - Uses Volkswagen components and is powered by a 1200-cc air-cooled engine.
- Formula 1600 (F1600A and F1600B) - Utilize the four-cylinder 1600-cc Ford motor or the Honda 1.5-liter engine
with older chassis’ competing in the B category.
Drivers score points towards the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship.
- Formula Libre is a race group that includes many classes; some of the more popular are:
- Formula First - Utilizes Volkswagen parts but is powered by a 1600-cc air-cooled motor.
- Formula 2000 - These winged vehicles use a 2.0-liter Ford four-cylinder power-plant.
- Formula 4 – Is another winged class with the most liberal rules.
- Radical – These are purpose-built closed wheel sports racing cars.
- Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada – Also competes at CASC-OR weekends and have several classes depending on the age and type of vehicle.
Categories include open and closed wheel Historic/Vintage as well as Classic.
The SMP Cup event was limited to the Formula Libre category, Grand Touring classes and the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship.
All content (photographs and text) appearing on this website are the exclusive property of © www.zoompics.com and are protected under International copyright laws. The subject matter on this website may not be reproduced, copied, stored or manipulated.
© Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022