The first road racing weekend on the 2000 Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs – Ontario Region calendar was hosted
by the British Automobile Racing Club – Ontario Centre (BARC) at Mosport International Raceway.
The event titled the BARC Spring Sprints was held on the weekend of April 29-30.
The British Automobile Racing Club – Ontario Centre was founded in 1959 by a group of motorsports enthusiasts in the Toronto area.
Their mission is to be the club of choice for competitors, volunteers, fans and sponsors of motorsports in Ontario.
In Ontario, amateur competitors race at Mosport International Raceway and Shannonville Motorsport Park to earn points towards the regional titles.
Championships are contested in the following categories:
- Grand Touring Category – This category is split into two major divisions GTA-D and Ontario Challenge Cup (OCC) GT1-3.
All the cars competing in the Grand Touring classes are prepared to similar rules.
These vehicles are also grouped according to their performance (based on the bracket that a car/driver combination performs).
The quickest class, GTA and OCC GT1 feature cars such as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Corvette, while at the other
end of the spectrum, GTD and OCC GT3 include vehicles such as the Honda Civic and Volkswagen Rabbit.
Some of these cars may be constructed with a tube-frame chassis.
The GTA-D class races in shorter sprint contests while the OCC GT1-3 competitors compete in one-hour long races.
- Sports Racer Category – These are purpose-built closed wheel race cars. The class includes a variety of chassis’
which may be constructed by a competitor or a race car manufacturer. There is also a wide range of engine options used by the teams.
- Formula Category – These are also purpose-built race cars. This is the largest category and includes six classes:
- Formula 1200 (uses Volkswagen components and is powered by 1200-cc air-cooled engine)
- Formula Vee 1600 (also utilizes Volkswagen parts but is powered by a 1600-cc air-cooled motor)
- Formula Ford A and B (use the four-cylinder 1600-cc Ford motor with older chassis’ competing in the B category)
- Formula 2000 (these winged vehicles utilizes a 2.0-liter Ford four-cylinder power-plant)
- Formula 4 (another winged class with the most liberal rules)
- There are a variety of regulations that govern these open-wheel cars.
Those in attendance were the first to witness the renovations made to the track during the offseason.
At the urging of professional series, the runoff areas were increased in all corners.
All content (photographs and text) appearing on this website are the exclusive property of © www.zoompics.com and are protected under International copyright laws. The subject matter on this website may not be reproduced, copied, stored or manipulated.
© Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019