The story of the 2000 24 at Daytona was attrition with the Sports Racers falling out of contention. With two hours left to go the No. 91 Dodge Viper GTSR driven by Olivier Beretta, Karl Wendlinger and Dominique Dupuy took the overall lead. They wouldn't relinquish the position and captured the overall and GTO class win.

It appeared that James Weaver, Rob Dyson, Max Papis and Elliott Forbes-Robinson had the race under control. However, Sunday morning would bring heartbreak as engine problems for the Lincoln powered Riley & Scott Mark III removed the team from the lead and relegated them to a fourth place finish.

Three wide racing at Daytona isnít exclusive to NASCAR. This is demonstrated on the corner three backing early Saturday evening by the Porsches of Alex Job Racing, P.K. Sports and L.R. Organisation.

Mike Fitzgerald, Gregory Merril, Danny Marshall, Chris MacAllister, Steve Marshall and Darren Law shared this Porsche RSR. The team completed 651 laps and finished third in GTU and twelfth overall.

Finishing just 30.879 seconds behind the race winning Viper was the Chevrolet Corvette of Ron Fellows, Justin Bell and Chris Kneifel. In fact, GTO cars finished in the top three positions overall, with all three Oreca Vipers placing in the top five.

The Cadillac Northstar LMP Prototypes made their race debut at the Daytona 24 Hour event. The No. 6 car finished second in the Sports Racer class, thirteenth overall, with drivers Andy Wallace, Butch Leitzinger and Frank Lagorce. The sister car, driven by Wayne Taylor, Eric van de Poele, finished third in class and fourteenth overall.

Winning the GTU category and finishing eighth overall was the No. 56 Porsche 911 GT3R entered by Haberthur Racing. The driving team of Gabrio Rosa, Fabio Rosa, Fabio Babini and Luca Drudi completed 658 laps, 65 laps behind the winning Viper.

The colourful Chevy powered Riley & Scott Mark III of George Robinson, Jack Baldwin and Irv Hoerr completed 495 laps. The car stalled in the Horseshoe on lap 109 and required a tow to the garage. After numerous pit stops the team finished thirty-fifth overall and sixth in the Sports Racer class.

Three Ferrari 333 SPs were entered and considered pre-race favourites. However, they were all out of the race by the seventh hour. An air box fire in the No. 27 Doran entry caused it to be the first Ferrari to retire.